For the past few years I have loved the phrase "Come What May and Love It" which is from a speech I heard in 2008. When I was diagnosed with cancer on August 29, 2014, the thought went through my head, "can I love this?" I am still not sure of the answer, but I am going to give it a try, and record my efforts along the way.
Monday, November 17, 2014
A few really hard days
I think I have finally felt the full effects of chemo. Up until this past week my treatments have been hard, but pretty manageable. Suddenly, this weekend I came up against symptoms I was not prepared for. For some reason I got a terrible headache on Friday night that would not go away. At first I thought it was just because I had been laying down so much and had a kink in my neck, but after being unable to rest all night Friday and feeling very uncomfortable Saturday I knew I was in trouble. I also was having a very hard time putting thoughts together or even feeling comfortable in my skin. This is weird to explain, but none of the normal tricks were working. Music, a walk outside, TV and Hallmark movies were just not doing the trick. I felt like I was watching my kids walk around me and I wasn't quite focusing in on what was going on. After a few prayers and a lot of crying the solution came from Adam, who has spent a few hours over the past couple days gently massaging my neck and head which has allowed me to get some rest and has somehow been able to ground me in a way nothing else could. Also, yesterday, when I was again hitting a low point, my children just gathered close and sat right next to me on the couch. My whole body felt uncomfortable and strange, but having them close was again very grounding. This post may not make sense to many, but I had to record the miracle I feel of having my wonderful little family around me and thank them for staying close and letting their love heal me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I just attempted to post a long comment, but forgot I had to log in first. When I finally figured that out, it erased it :( Let me simply tell you that I love you. Maybe that was better in the end.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely relate to the presence of family around you to comfort and uplift when there's nothing else they can do-they sit with you. Thinking of you and your family as you all work to get through this.
ReplyDeleteLove is powerful. We can't snuggle to you but please know we wish we could and we love you
ReplyDeleteThst snuggle comment was from me aunt lynda
ReplyDelete