Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Thanks for Remembering Me!

I have to sneak a selfie of myself in the treatment room to document what number chemo treatment I am on - so funny angle, but does show we are making progress!  Only 65 days to go until I am done with chemo (9 treatments left)
I came home from my treatment last night to a wonderful meal prepared by a former neighbor.  After dinner a friend and her daughter stopped by to drop off beautiful and delicious sweet bread twists, and then when we got the mail there was a letter that included a hand written picture or note from each member of an amazing family that we love here in Beaverton, and a gift from a couple in Utah who know my parents and had just heard about me.  There is no way I can share all the things people have done for me and my family, so I was not even going to try because I didn't want anyone to feel left out of the thanks, but I am so overwhelmed by the generosity and kindness that keeps coming our way.  The consistency and longevity of the thoughtful gestures have made me feel so loved and remembered and I just had to say thanks.

I can so clearly remember the day I was diagnosed with cancer.  I was sitting on my bed and I was supposed to wait for the phone call telling me the results of the biopsy, but I just couldn't wait and called the oncology office.  The breast cancer navigator got on the phone and told me the news.  I remember looking up at the ceiling a saying in a silent prayer to my Heavenly Father, "Will you stay with me?"  Right then I received a very peaceful feeling, but I had no idea what "staying with me" would look like.  I now know that Heavenly Father is "staying with me" through my wonderful friends, neighbors, and family.  The fact that through this busy season you have not forgotten me and that on almost every letter, the words, "we are praying for you," appear is such a gift to me.  The past couple weeks as I have gone in for my Taxol treatment, Larry (the nurse) asks what my side effects have been that week.  I just keep telling him that I am not experiencing any side effects besides a little extra tiredness and shortness of breath.  I do not take this for granted.  I take this as a gift that is coming because of the prayers in my behalf from so many people.  Sunday, I saw a little video about the gift of Christmas that I would just like to share.  I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and receives the intangible gifts that bring joy.

He is the Gift - a short Christmas message of hope and joy :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Adam & Kristy! It's Pam Peeler from a million years ago at BYU. Ric and I were surprised and saddened to hear of your cancer diagnosis from your Christmas card. I just want to tell you that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I've always remembered how good natured and kind you both were and most certainly still are. I hope you and your family are blessed with all that you need as you go through this struggle. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete