Tuesday, October 14, 2014

4:30 a.m.

Well I just woke up and can't go back to sleep, so I figured this is a good time to start my blog.  I keep putting it off because I can't really get the design part figured out, but I figure that can come later.

Yesterday I had my port put in.  I was very surprised by what this actually looked like and how long it took to have the procedure done.  Basically they put a piece of plastic with a rubbery top right inside my skin and they will put the needle through my skin every time they need to take blood or give chemo.  I was thinking the port was going to eliminate the need to put a needle through my skin, but I guess not.


Here is a picture of what it looks like.  It is about 1/2 an inch long and I think it is plastic.  The top circle is rubbery and has three little raised knobs which can be felt through my skin and give the nurse a guide know where to put the needle. A tube is attached to the port which has been threaded right into my vein.  Because they are starting chemo today they put the needle inside and left it there covered with tape and gauze so I am ready to go.  Here is a picture of the current set up.



Sleeping with this set up is a little strange which is why I am awake at 4:30 a.m.  I feel a little nervous about today, but I am definitely ready to get started.  It will feel better to see how I react to chemo and figure out how to take care of it, rather than just keep reading or hearing about all the possible side effects and wonder which ones I will have.

3 comments:

  1. Kristy, so excited to follow you. Question: Where is that picture taken on your body? Is the port in your chest? Good luck today. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure love you, Kristy. I'm so happy you are blogging this craziness. It's good for all of us to follow this journey so we know how you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristy & Giles Family: We have been thinking of you all day. You are probably at Interstate right now and we'll send extra prayers your way. The Brobergs love the Giles Family!

    ReplyDelete